As a parent, you want your family to have the best possible dental care—but with so many available options and subjective opinions, it can be overwhelming to select just one. Before making a final decision, ask each prospective dentist these key questions to ensure a good fit
- What are the office hours? Do they offer evening and weekend appointments? This is especially important when both parents work full-time.
- What ages does the practice treat? (Some dentists have a policy of only seeing children over a certain age, while some pediatric dentists don’t treat teens or adults.)
- Is the office conveniently located in relation to your home or office?
- Where did the dentist receive his medical education?
- Does he or she participate in continuing education and dental conferences?
- What is the dentist’s preferred method of anesthesia during procedures and surgeries?
- What measures does the dentist take to ensure that patients are relaxed and comfortable? This is an essential question for those who experience fear or anxiety when visiting the dentist.
- What is the dentist’s philosophy on preventive dentistry?
- How does the office handle dental emergencies that occur outside of regular office hours?
- Is the dentist within your dental insurance network?
- If they perform additional services outside of the regular dental exam and cleaning, such as X-rays, ask about potential out-of-pocket charges.
If you miss an appointment, will you be charged?
- If you arrive a few minutes late, will you need to reschedule?
Clarify these policies. Once you’ve selected a dentist and made your first appointment, pay attention to these important details:
- Is the office clean, updated, and well-appointed?
- Does the equipment appear to be up-to-date and in good working order?
- Are the dentist and hygienists friendly, accommodating, and patient?
- Does the dental staff wear gloves and masks during exams and procedures?
Choosing a family dentist is an important decision that will impact the health and lifelong dental habits of everyone in the household. If you’re searching for a reliable, capable family dentist, we invite you to learn more about our practice.